Develop the next-generation, low-cost fiber packaging solution for Silicon Photonics.
What you will do
Over the past several years, imec has developed a state-of-the-art silicon photonics (SiPho) technology for realizing next-generation optical interconnects as well as novel optical sensing applications. However, in order for SiPho to break into high-volume, low-cost applications, a cost-effective process for single-mode fiber packaging needs to be developed. As a Senior Silicon Photonics Packaging R&D Engineer, you will be the technical lead in the technology pathfinding for next-generation SiPho optical packaging, and you will work with imec’s photonic and 3D integration engineers to demonstrate such desired low-cost packaging solution. In order to achieve this goal, you will design innovative fiber coupling structures (including beam shaping and mechanical support structures), which will be fabricated using wafer-scale silicon processes in imec’s clean room. In addition, high-throughput wafer-scale fabrication or assembly of micro-optical components on the SiPho platform will be pursued. You will carry out this work in collaboration with material suppliers, vendors of optical fiber connectors, advanced semiconductor packaging/assembly tool vendors, as well as OSATs.
- Conceive novel concepts for low-cost fiber packaging through optical/mechanical design and modeling of SiPho coupling interfaces
- Design a high-throughput monolithic/hybrid wafer-scale process flow to realize the designed interfaces in imec’s SiPho platform
- Design process/layout experiments to drive technology development
- Test, evaluate and qualify the developed packaging solution (optical/mechanical/reliability)
- Drive project execution by interacting with integration, test & reliability engineers within imec, as well as with external vendors
- Document and report to internal and external stakeholders including imec’s partners and customers
- Report to the scientific community at conferences or in scientific journals
What we do for you
- We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
- We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
- We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
The ideal candidate has/is:
- Obtained a Ph.D. of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Material Science Applied Physics (or equivalent experience through industry background)
- 4+ years hands-on experience in packaging and measuring fiber-coupled devices
- 3+ years hands-on experience with optical system design software, such as Synopsys (RSoft, Code V), Lumerical, Zemax, OSLO.
- Experience of CMOS BEOL wafer-scale processing and flip chip assembly (CoW, WLP, ...).
- Experience with silicon photonics is a plus
- An enthusiastic team player, yet able to independently solve complex problems with limited supervision.
- Excellent English communication skills and willing to work in a multicultural environment.