Visionary Seminar: The collection & use of healthcare data
Philipssite 5/bus 1
Members: €135 excl. VAT
Non-Members : €175 excl. VAT
Under 35 years old : €75 excl. VAT
Students: €8.26 excl. VAT (with proof of student/teacher card)
(Students will pay at the entrance of the event; only by card)
Teacher: €30.58 excl. VAT (with proof of student/teacher card)
Would you like to enjoy member pricing? Become a member of Leuven MindGate!
After registration you will receive a confirmation and route description. Fee is payable after receipt of invoice.
Registration is possible until 20 October 2021.
Cancellation after registration is not possible; however, replacement by a colleague is allowed.
But most of these data are stored in “silos”. They reside at different hospitals and research centres, and are distributed across servers and databases. It’s a challenge to access all the relevant data needed to build powerful models.
Other types of valuable data – e.g., chemical compounds used for drug discovery and development – are usually kept in-house by pharma companies and are unlikely to be shared due to its competitive nature.
In this visionary seminar, we’ll talk about the potential usage of such data in the healthcare sector. We’ll discuss how data-sharing is being tackled at the European scale and how new technologies – e.g. Distributed or Federated Machine Learning – can enable data-sharing without giving up privacy. And we’ll see how Europe's regulations – e.g. the GDPR – tries to guarantee our privacy in all of this.
- 15h30: Registration with refreshment
- 16h20: Welcome by Leuven MindGate
- 16h30: Introduction by Wilfried Verachtert (IMEC), chairman of this event
- 16h40: The Use of Healthcare Data in the Life Sciences Industry
Bart Vannieuwenhuyse (J&J)
- 17h00: Multiple Sclerosis and the Use of Healthcare Data
Liesbet Peeters (UHasselt)
- 17h20: Better Use of Healthcare Data in Hospitals
Stephane Willaert (Robovision)
- 17h40: break with sandwiches & soup
- 18h00: Health data & the GDPR
- Hanne Elsen (Data Protection Officer UGent)
- 18h20: ELIXIR & Distributed Infrastructure for Biological Data
Frederik Coppens (VIB – ELIXIR)
- 18h40: Privacy Preserving Amalgamated Machine Learning
Roel Wuyts (IMEC-KUL)
- 19h00: Debate with all speakers or Q&A
- 19h30: Networking and reception
Leuven MindGate In collaboration with IMEC
How can we help?
The Leuven MindGate team is at your disposal for any questions about the Leuven Innovation Region. Do you want to invest, work or study in the region? We can help you find your way.
We also facilitate collaboration and innovation between companies, knowledge institutes and government within the Leuven Innovation Region, and we are happy to guide any of these stakeholders towards innovation.