Germanium Optical Device Designer
As our Germanium Optical Device Designer, you contribute to the further development of germanium photodetectors (GePD) and germanium-silicon electro-absorption modulators (GeSi EAM) in our silicon photonics platforms.
SectorElectronics & Engineering
What you will do
Imec is a global pioneer in developing integrated silicon photonics technology through its Optical I/O R&D program targeting short-reach optical communications. This technology is successfully offered via wafer-level prototype fabrication services to customers in telecom, datacom, computing, bio-medical and sensing applications. These activities are growing and require the expansion of our team.
As a germanium optical device designer, you contribute to the further development of germanium photodetectors (GePD) and germanium-silicon electro-absorption modulators (GeSi EAM) in our silicon photonics platforms. You create, maintain and improve the Ge-based library devices regarding performance, compact model and yield. Your devices are shared through PDK’s to users of our platforms all around the world. You act as the technical interface with customers and use their feedback to improve your class of devices. You participate in internal SiPho development runs on 200mm and 300mm to implement improved component designs and you leverage imec’s automated SiPho test stations to implement and test your new device concepts with fast turnaround times.
- Define, implement, and document design methodologies for robust Ge-based optical devices.
- Design state-of-the-art GePD and GeSi-EAM/PD building blocks in imec silicon photonics platforms, both for 200mm as for 300mm.
- Design and maintain test structures for process control and process improvement.
- Simulate, model, design, layout and characterize your devices with the tools used in the team and contribute to an improved functionality of those python-based tools.
- Own the Ge-based device characterization using imec’s wafer-scale SiPho test infrastructure (test procedure, data analysis and reporting).
- Build compact models to be used by circuit designers (internal and external customers).
- Share your expertise with your colleagues in the silicon photonics group.
- Interact directly with customers.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You have a Master or PhD degree in Physics or Photonics.
- You have an excellent understanding of the physics of integrated photonics Ge devices and knowledge of semiconductor manufacturing process and constraints.
- You have demonstrated experience with designing and characterizing high-speed >30GHz electro-optical devices. Simulation (e.g. Ansys HFSS, Agilent ADS) and characterization (S-parameters, TDR, eye diagram & BER measurements) is a plus.
- You have experience and are comfortable programming in Python, and with git.
- You have run large simulations to explore design spaces and evaluate device sensitivity.
- You master your simulation tools (Lumerical and/or RSoft) and understand the pro and cons of each simulation method.
- You layout your designs using a scripting language (like ipkiss from Luceda Photonics).
- You are curious and creative. You like to collaborate with colleagues using code.
- You have good communication skills in English to communicate with your colleagues in our multinational team and with customers.
How can we help?
The Leuven MindGate team is at your disposal for any questions about the Leuven Innovation Region. Do you want to invest, work or study in the region? We can help you find your way.
We also facilitate collaboration and innovation between companies, knowledge institutes and government within the Leuven Innovation Region, and we are happy to guide any of these stakeholders towards innovation.