Wafer Level Packaging Technology Expert
Technology Expert for RF Heterogeneous Integration of III-V / CMOS / Antenna arrays.
Who we are
The Imec Advanced-RF (ARF) group in Leuven enjoys a world-class reputation in advanced communication and radar and millimeter wave sensing systems. In these fields, the group has a vertical system approach: our expertise ranges from antenna, frontend, baseband, analog-to-digital conversion to algorithms and systems. The group also combines innovative communication and sensing technologies that unleash the full potential of future smart cities, smart health and internet of things (IoT). Furthermore, research is also done in the fields of advanced wireline communication, future RF technologies, mmwave sensing for lifesciences, mmwave imaging, …
What you will do
Next generation communication and radar systems will operate at frequencies beyond 100 GHz. At such high frequencies, traditional interconnect solutions based on PCBs incur excessively high loss and leakage of signal. Furthermore, larger antenna arrays are needed to overcome higher path loss, low amplification, and low absolute power from transistors. Heterogeneous integration of different transistor technologies and passive components is essential to meet link budget and high data rate requirements at these frequencies.
Your main expertise should be wafer level packaging technologies with a focus on mm-wave and sub-terahertz applications. Knowledge of both technology and design aspects of mm-wave transitions and their co-design with RF circuits will be your main responsibility. Literature survey and keeping an up-to-date list of recent (academic and industry) developments in this field will be an additional task.
Your tasks will include:
- EM Simulations of RF interconnects – flip-chip, embedded-chip, passive components
- Circuit simulation and co-design of active building blocks (e.g., amplifier, oscillator, frequency conversion) with wafer scale packages for 100 - 300 GHz
- Simulation and Benchmarking with advanced PCB technologies like IC Substrate, Substrate like PCBs and Scaled organic packages
- Heterogeneous integration of III-V and CMOS at wafer, die or package level
- System Technology Co-optimization - Work with 3D technology experts to define technology flows where both manufacturability and EM performance are co-optimized
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- PhD or a Master’s degree with 3+ years of relevant job experience
- Strong Background in EM field simulations, mm-wave packaging
- Knowledge of mm-wave circuit simulation of basic building blocks (amplifier, oscillator, multiplier etc.) in III-V / CMOS technologies
- Knowledge of packaging technologies like Infineon EWLB, Amkor Swift, TSMC FOWLP, IC Substrates / mSAP, Silicon interposer, Glass interposer etc.
- Proficient in EM simulations tools like Ansys HFSS or CST Microwave Studio
- Experience with circuit simulation in Keysight ADS, Cadence tools
- You can easily integrate in an international team.
- Since you will be working in a highly international environment and will be maintaining a good contact with colleagues and co-workers from all over the world, fluency in English is essential.
How can we help?
The Leuven MindGate team is at your disposal for any questions about the Leuven Innovation Region. Do you want to invest, work or study in the region? We can help you find your way.
We also facilitate collaboration and innovation between companies, knowledge institutes and government within the Leuven Innovation Region, and we are happy to guide any of these stakeholders towards innovation.