Transmission Electron Microscopy Engineer
A technical expert of TEM sample preparation and inspections
SectorElectronics & Engineering
At imec our slogan is 'Embracing a better life’ and the way we do this is via nanoelectronics. Our chips are used for high-tech solutions that contribute to more efficient health care, safer transport, more sustainable energy, you name it. You see: a better world starts with the technology behind it and that technology is created in our cleanroom. In the TEM group at imec we apply a variety of morphological, structural, and chemical methods to support the needs of imec’s pilot fabrication facilities for advanced semiconductor device development. As a TEM specialist you are responsible for the TEM sample preparation & inspections that are used to characterize CMORE (MEMS, actuators, sensors ...) and Core (Logic, Memory, Interconnect, 3D...) technologies.
What you will do
As TEM specialist your task will be to support the manual TEM service. For the service, you will prepare TEM samples, using focused ion beam (FIB) resulting in a thin specimen, observe these in the transmission electron microscope, analyze critical dimensions features, materials defects, and determine chemical composition of stacks. You will generate a comprehensive report that allows the process teams to use these observations to advance their development work. You will also focus on the daily working of the service and optimize our technical and operational way-of-working.
How do you do that? With a diverse range of tasks:
- You are a technical expert in SEM/TEM inspections and up-to date on the current limitations and possibilities of the tools with a focus on semi-conductor materials.
- You connect strongly with the Hardware and Engineering teams to minimize the impact of issues that are typical for the operational department of a research facility.
- You are an expert in the preparation of TEM samples.
- You process TEM service requests as well.
- You support the day-to-day of the manual TEM service.
- You coach and train team members.
- You will follow-up the different service queues offered by imec.
- You are co-owner in achieving the different targets set within the department: ensure quality delivery on time.
- You detect potential efficiency and quality risks and take the appropriate action.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. In everything we do, your future colleagues are guided by the imec values of passion, excellence, connectedness, and integrity. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process, not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
What are we looking for?
- You obtained a master’s or PhD degree in materials sciences, physics, chemistry, or you have several years of hands-on experience, in transmission electron microscopy within the semiconductor industry.
- You are a good communicator, team player, and eager to learn.
- You are prepared to work in a shift system: early, late and one weekend per month.
- Being strong in planning, prioritizing, multitasking and applying a hands-on approach
- Good report writing skills, good analytical skills and desire to learn more about new semiconductor materials and advanced structures are essential for a successful implementation of this role.
How can we help?
The Leuven MindGate team is at your disposal for any questions about the Leuven Innovation Region. Do you want to invest, work or study in the region? We can help you find your way.
We also facilitate collaboration and innovation between companies, knowledge institutes and government within the Leuven Innovation Region, and we are happy to guide any of these stakeholders towards innovation.