Team Leader Energy System
People manager, define and execute the strategy
SectorElectronics & Engineering
What you will do
Imec’s photovoltaic group, which is closely linked to Hasselt University, aims to help accelerating the renewable energy transition, and is an internationally recognized research group thanks to its expertise, track record, extensive industrial network, and new state-of-the-art photovoltaic lab facilities. The present position is in the Energy System team that focuses on the integration of photovoltaics in the energy system of the future and is located on the Energyville Campus in Genk, Belgium. The focus points of the Energy System team are energy yield modelling of various (integrated) photovoltaic applications and the energy management of hybrid photovoltaic powerplants (combining photovoltaic generation with e.g. battery storage and hydrogen electrolysis), including short-term PV energy yield forecasting and modelling of energy storage. In the last six years, imec has developed a patented and extensively validated physics-based PV system energy yield simulation framework. Combining the in-depth PV cell and module technology knowhow of imec with system simulation basics and advanced computing approaches, the imec PV yield simulation framework reaches higher accuracy compared to commercial PV simulation software packages. Owing to these achievements, we have a variety of ongoing funded and industrial research projects to further expand the framework towards novel PV technologies and applications. It is our aim to further develop this simulation framework to support the clean energy transition through system and technology co-optimization.
In the role as team leader, you will:
- Act as people manager of the team members reporting to you
- Take the lead in defining and executing the strategy of the team
- Make the team and the underlying business grow in the future
- Ensure close ties and collaboration with the other teams of imec and Hasselt University
- Follow the progress of international industrial and academic R&D groups in the field and establish collaborations with these groups
- Identify new business opportunities and initiate new industrial and publicly funded projects
- Generate within the team creative research ideas with industrial relevance and ensure that the team delivers beyond the state-of-the-art research results.
- Participate in international working groups and conferences to enhance your own and the team’s visibility.
What we do for you
We offer you a permanent position at our new state-of-the-art energy research facilities located on the EnergyVille campus in Genk, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together with our partners in EnergyVille, we shape the renewable energy technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.We are committed to being an inclusive employer (http://www.imec-int.com/en/careers#diversity) and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. In everything we do, your future colleagues are guided by the imec values of passion, excellence, connectedness and integrity. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth. We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You have a PhD in Physics, Mechanical/Electrical Engineering, or Computer Sciences.
- You have experience as a team leader and in people management
- You have a good understanding of Photovoltaic technologies and/or hybrid power systems
- Experience in advanced multi-disciplinary modelling and familiarity with Python programming and machine-learning based modeling are a plus.
- You can easily integrate in a multidisciplinary team within a global context.
- You are a self-motivated creative thinker with an outstanding scientific/technical track record.
- You have the pioneering spirit to start novel research topics and the drive to excel.
- You possess a genuine appetite for personal learning
- You have good written and oral communication skills in English.
How can we help?
The Leuven MindGate team is at your disposal for any questions about the Leuven Innovation Region. Do you want to invest, work or study in the region? We can help you find your way.
We also facilitate collaboration and innovation between companies, knowledge institutes and government within the Leuven Innovation Region, and we are happy to guide any of these stakeholders towards innovation.