Systems Architect for imaging and photonic systems
Steer the prototyping and product development of novel imaging and photonic systems
SectorElectronics & Engineering
What you will do
Within the imec Solutions department, we build application-oriented prototypes around unique imec chip-level technology. Together with the component experts, we innovate at the system level to bring these imec technologies to the next level and to bridge the gap between research and industry. A system here is composed of an innovative microchip or sensor, combined with custom or off-the-shelf electronics, optics, mechanics, fluidics and both embedded and application specific algorithms and control software. Our mission is to demonstrate and validate these systems in a relevant environment and generate valuable data for our customers. We are building a multidisciplinary team that has expertise in system engineering, mechanics, electronics, optics, software, product development and quality systems. Some examples of applications are:
Alzheimer’s Disease, through the eyes of a hyperspectral camera
Latest Neuropixels probes can track neurons over weeks
We are looking for an experienced System Architect to join our team in Leuven, to steer the prototyping and product development of novel imaging and photonic systems for applications in biomanufacturing, life sciences, biomedical and machine vision applications. You will assist in defining projects, product requirement and in technically steering both internal and external development teams. You will be responsible for identifying the subsystems, interfaces and describing the principle of operation and component functionality. You will assess the maturity levels (TRL/SRL) of each subcomponent and handle trade-offs & risks at system level. You will work together with various sub-system development teams to keep the technical overview up to date and highlight system performance and risks accordingly. You will report your progress, both to internal as well as external stakeholders.
In this job, your main activities will be:
- Build a high-level overview of system functionality, identify subsystems, interfaces and assess their maturity level
- Identify, highlight, and communicate the impact of design choices of components/sub-systems at the system level
- Perform analysis at system/sub-system level to monitor the interdependencies; assess critical specs, anticipate risks and bottlenecks
- Model, simulate or estimate performance at the correct abstraction level to master complex systems
- Develop and maintain a system level technical dashboard to keep track of system/sub-system development
- Collect requirements, own the system architecture and maintain relevant design control documents (risk analysis, design review, verification plans and others)
- Quickly adapt to new project requirements and effectively manage change requests.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will define the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. In everything we do, your future colleagues are guided by the imec values of passion, excellence, connectedness and integrity. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You hold a PhD or MSc in Engineering, product development or equivalent, with at least a few years as a system architect/engineer
- You have a strong background in imaging and photonics systems: optics, electro-optics, opto-mechanics, image sensors, camera systems and other aspects of modern photonic systems
- Industrial experience is a strong plus, especially in development for GMP, biomanufacturing or medical devices.
- Experience in creating Design Control documentation in an ISO 13485 quality management system is a strong bonus.
- Both hands-on mentality and system thinking are required.
- A team player with excellent communication skills and fluent in English.
- Willingness to work at the Imec facilities in Leuven is required.
#Systems Architect for multi sensing systems#System Architect for imaging and photonic systems
How can we help?
The Leuven MindGate team is at your disposal for any questions about the Leuven Innovation Region. Do you want to invest, work or study in the region? We can help you find your way.
We also facilitate collaboration and innovation between companies, knowledge institutes and government within the Leuven Innovation Region, and we are happy to guide any of these stakeholders towards innovation.