Software Developer Mobility & Logistics
impact? Would you love to join a multi-disciplinary and talented team? Do you want to work with key industry players? Are you committed in tackling tomorrow’s challenges related to Mobility & Logistics (i.e. safer, more resilient and greener)? Do you get energy from designing, developing, and testing software in real world environments? Then you might be the software developer we are looking for!
SectorElectronics & Engineering
imec’s EDiT (Enabling Digital Transformations) department plays a prominent role in realizing societal & economic impact by conducting demand-driven R&D, in collaboration with industry players, authorities and (academic) research institutes.Our mission is to focus on the most complex challenges (‘wicked problems’) in 3 key domains: Sustainable & Urban Environments, Mobility & Logistics and Health. We are guided by an “Open for Impact” vision, which puts an emphasis on sharing all that we learn as open knowledge, open source, and open data. Mobility and logistics begin when you walk out the front door or when you receive an online-ordered parcel, delivered at your doorstep. Mobility and logistics are everywhere, and we expect an immense increase in relevance and importance in the coming decade. On top of that we face challenging climate goals making that the mobility and logistics landscape will shift to a more sustainable, resilient and future proof way of working. Our Mobility & Logistics experts set an example for Flanders and the rest of Europe in the development of innovative technological solutions that stimulates sector digital transformation. We focus on data-driven decision-making using data spaces, digital twins, connected and autonomous mobility and transport (C-ITS), synchromodal transport and urban logistics. We typically give preference to hiring developers as payroll employees. However, freelance/consultant/flex-force staff – usually recruited through our network of preferred suppliers – can be considered to cover temporary capacity or capability requirements.
What you will do
You will join the EDiT’s Mobility & Logistics cluster. There will collaborate with other developers, architects, analysts, designers, project managers, product owners, user researchers, and domain experts. The clusters operate through a process based on Scrum and SAFe principles.As Software Developer you will also join EDiT’s DEV competence centre, where we will provide coaching, arrange training, evaluate and fine-tune your role and responsibilities, and plan your path within EDiT/imec together. Additionally, through our EDiT Communities of Practice initiative you will regularly interact with other developers, architects, designers, and user researchers across EDiT.
What we do for you
EDiT is based at the imec offices in the centers of Ghent and Antwerp in addition to our HQ in Leuven. You can choose from which of these offices cities you prefer to work, and we also have a hybrid work policy in place that is very flexible to remote working. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will define the society of tomorrow.An extensive benefits package (e.g. hospitalization plan for you and your family, bike leasing plan, home office budgets, extra vacation days, etc.)
- Individual career path with access to our imec.academy learning platform.
- Hybrid working with up to 6(!) weeks of working abroad.
- Challenging high-tech environment and a stimulating diverse culture.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility
Who you are
These are some of the qualities we tend to look for:“Must-haves” (essential skills):
- Educational background:
o (Prof.) Bachelor, Master, or PhD degree in a “STEM” domain, typically (but not exclusively) Computer Science, I(C)T, or (applied) Informatics;o Or, equivalent self-thought expertise acquired through proven professional experience & certified training;
- Able to quickly learn new paradigms, patterns, languages, frameworks, libraries, …;
- An interest in research & innovation with societal relevance;
- Relational & document-based databases (PostgreSQL, Mongo, etc.);
- Git (duh!);
- Team player, preferably accustomed to Scrum or similar Agile process;
- English (professional proficiency).
“Should-haves” (a great candidate is familiar with most of these):
- Able to efficiently, and iteratively translate requirements to software architecture & implementation choices;
- Node.js, for implementation of back-ends & APIs …;
- … deployed as micro-services using Docker/Kubernetes;
- Python, Go, Rust, Scala, Kotlin, Java as your second or third language;
- (notions of) HTML/CSS.
“Could-haves” (it is nice to tick a few of these boxes):
- Being knowledgeable of [technology specific to] the mobility and logistics domain;
- Having contributed, from a technical point of view, in scoping & functional requirements analysis;
- Design of micro-service/back-end architectures;
- MS Azure cloud ecosystem (or equivalent, e.g. AWS, Google Cloud);
- CI/CD & DevOps technologies (e.g. Azure DevOps/Pipelines, Helm, Terraform, etc.);
- Big data technologies such as Apache Hadoop, Apache Spark, …;
- Geo-spatial technologies: e.g. PostGIS, Mapbox, Leaflet, CesiumJS, ArcGIS, QGIS, etc.;
- Experience with (Web) front-end framework(s) such as React, Vue.js, …;
- “Beyond-REST” client-server interaction: GraphQL, Web Sockets, Protocol Buffers, …;
- Event-driven systems, stream processing, caching, queuing & brokering technologies such as Apache Kafka, Redis, …;
- Mobile app development experience (Android, iOS, or cross-platform/PWA);
- Testing methodologies (TDD, Consumer-driven Contract Testing) & frameworks (e.g. Jest, Mocha, Chai, PACT, etc.);
- Having made contributions to open-source projects (please mention in your application!);
- Dutch (notions or intention to learn).
How can we help?
The Leuven MindGate team is at your disposal for any questions about the Leuven Innovation Region. Do you want to invest, work or study in the region? We can help you find your way.
We also facilitate collaboration and innovation between companies, knowledge institutes and government within the Leuven Innovation Region, and we are happy to guide any of these stakeholders towards innovation.