Researcher nanocomposite solid electrolytes of next generation
Take up the challenge to realize Li-metal solid-state batteries
SectorElectronics & Engineering
What you will do
The electrochemical storage team at imec is taking up the challenge to realize Li-metal solid-state batteries. These batteries will be able to deliver the high energy density, fast charging and long lifetimes desired by industry and their customers, from car manufacturers to consumer electronics. We are expanding this R&D activity with our industrial partners and are looking for a motivated researcher leading the work package on nanocomposite solid electrolytes. The first generations of a novel nanocomposite electrolyte, more particular a composite material synthesized by a sol-gel process, have been invented and developed at imec. Together with you we want to realize the next generations of this nanocomposite electrolyte, enabling the compatibility with cell components for high-energy battery cells and the material properties needed for these demanding targets.
In this job, your main activities will be:
- Delivering inventive contributions to the development and optimization of nanocomposite electrolytes
- Setting out the experimental plans to timely achieve the targets defined in the technical roadmap
- Discussing and defending these experimental plans with other team members and scientific management
- Timely and accurate executing and analyzing of the experiments of these plans in collaboration with other team members, including researchers and process assistants.
- Regular and effective reporting of the progress to project management of imec and of our partners
- Ensuring good practice in the lab and setting up process and characterization protocols in your field of expertise
Your main activities will take place in the imec labs at EnergyVille in Genk, you will make regular visits to the imec labs in Leuven.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at the imec labs at EnergyVille in Genk, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
You have experience in sol-gel synthesis and engineering of surface chemistry in mesoporous oxides. Experience with Li-ion cell technology, mechanical characterization of materials and electrochemistry is a plus. Furthermore, you are a self-motivated scientist or engineer, who seizes opportunities and is enthused by new challenges.
- You have a PhD degree in Science or in Science of Engineering, or equivalent by experience
- You have experience in sol-gel processing and electrochemical characterization; knowledge of surface chemistry in mesoporous oxides is a plus
- You are knowledgeable of Li-ion batteries and preferably of solid-state lithium batteries
- You can be in the driving seat on a scientific activity, delivering input for experimental plans and roadmaps
- You have experience with the writing of project proposals
- You take initiative and can work independently, while you keep on consulting and discussing with a team
- You can plan your work and that of your colleagues according to your deadlines and deliverables
- You are result-driven and can meet quality output with stringent deadlines
- You can guide and motivate team members in their work
- You are creative and like to think with a team to solve problems
- You communicate and report effectively
- You are flexible to accept new challenges in the future, and to evolve together with the changing R&D demands of our high-tech environment
- You have an impeccable knowledge of English, given the international character of imec
How can we help?
The Leuven MindGate team is at your disposal for any questions about the Leuven Innovation Region. Do you want to invest, work or study in the region? We can help you find your way.
We also facilitate collaboration and innovation between companies, knowledge institutes and government within the Leuven Innovation Region, and we are happy to guide any of these stakeholders towards innovation.