Researcher nano-structured electrodes for application in energy storage and conversion solutions
Shaping nanotechnology for a sustainable and an enhanced quality of life (fixed-term contract).
SectorElectronics & Engineering
What you will do
Electrochemical devices take a more and more prominent role in our society. For more than a decade portable electronics such as smart phones and laptops rely on Li-ion battery technology to be powered. Continuous cost reductions through innovation in this field enabled penetration into new markets, wherein storage solutions became key for electric vehicles and personal transporters, and play a pivotal role in establishing a stable energy supply from renewable but fluctuating energy sources such as solar and wind. We expect this trend to continue with electrochemical storage and conversion devices enabling new technologies in the field of e.g. health, internet of things, e-fuels, etc. Innovation remains essential and specifically for electrochemical devices this starts at the electrodes where the electrochemistry takes place.
A novel type of nanostructured electrode with a unique combination of surface area, porosity, and mechanical stability was developed at imec and has been successfully applied for green hydrogen technology. The electrode is deposited using a templated electrodeposition and can be fabricated out of different metals. You will work with the team on shaping the volume, porosity, structure, and geometry of this nano-electrode such that it becomes applicable for storage solutions in small electronic devices such as smart pills, IoT nodes, microdrones, etc. Furthermore, we believe that you work will contribute to the application of these electrode in many more utilization fields going from long-term storage in flow cell technology to electrochemical health sensing devices where non-invasive and continuous measurements would provide highly valuable information on e.g. inflammation processes, nutrient availability and other biomarkers.
We are looking for people with experience in electrochemical fabrication and characterization, specifically profiles with experience with plating from ionic liquid electrolytes and/or anodization are of interest. Experience with micro-batteries and thin-film coating of battery active materials is a plus.
We expect you to:
- Deliver inventive contributions to the research of novel nano-structured electrodes.
- Provide content to the research planning which the goal to demonstrate working electrochemical devices.
- Set-out the experimental plans to timely achieve the (project) targets, and to discuss and defend these plans with the other team members and the project management.
- Timely and accurately execute and analyze experiments in collaboration with other team members, including researchers, PhD students and process assistants.
- Follow-up and report of project tasks with periodic internal and external review meetings.
- Create scientific output in the form of e.g. high-impact publication and when applicable assist the imec patent office in protecting the team’s intellectual property by providing context and content.
- Take a leading role in the scientific and technical work in the lab environment.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium (fixed-term contract). With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will define the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer (http://www.imec-int.com/en/careers#diversity) and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. In everything we do, your future colleagues are guided by the imec values of passion, excellence, connectedness and integrity. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You have a PhD degree in Science or Engineering.
- You have experience in electrochemistry.
- Knowledge of micro-batteries is a plus.
- You are creative and like to think with a team to solve problems.
- You have experience in collaborative research projects and can effectively summarize a project status.
- You take initiative and can work independently, while you keep on consulting and discussing with a team.
- You can plan your work according to your deadlines and deliverables.
- You are result-driven and can meet quality output with stringent deadlines.
- You can guide and motivate team members in their work.
- You have an impeccable knowledge of English, given the international character of imec.
How can we help?
The Leuven MindGate team is at your disposal for any questions about the Leuven Innovation Region. Do you want to invest, work or study in the region? We can help you find your way.
We also facilitate collaboration and innovation between companies, knowledge institutes and government within the Leuven Innovation Region, and we are happy to guide any of these stakeholders towards innovation.