R&D Project Leader
Take care of projects and external partner follow-up, keep the overview of the technical activities
SectorElectronics & Engineering
What you will do
Within the imec Solutions department, we build application-oriented prototypes around unique imec chip-level technology. Together with the component experts, we innovate at the system level to bring these imec technologies to the next level and to bridge the gap between research and industry. A system here is composed of an innovative microchip or sensor, combined with custom or off-the-shelf electronics, optics, mechanics, fluidics and both embedded and application specific algorithms and control software. Our mission is to demonstrate and validate these systems in a relevant environment and generate valuable data for our customers. We are building a multidisciplinary team that has expertise in system engineering, mechanics, electronics, optics, software, product development and quality systems.
We are looking for an experienced R&D Project Leader with system engineering skills to join our team in Leuven, to coordinate and steer the prototyping and product development of novel systems for applications in industrial, medical, agricultural and space applications. You will drive forward the project definition and execution with a multidisciplinary team, in close partnership with the system architects and system engineers. You will keep track of the overall project goals, risks, and achievements. You will drive progress forward by maintaining a clear view on the applied research and development methods. You will work together with various technical teams (internally at imec and with external partners and suppliers) to keep the technical overview up to date and report your progress, both to internal as well as external stakeholders.
In this job, your main responsibilities will be:
- Build a high-level overview of system functionality, identify subsystems, interfaces and assess their maturity level
- Keep your eye on the overall project goals and move the team in that direction by formulating the hypothesis, defining the experiments/next step, following up on execution, integrating and interpreting the results
- Perform analysis on those achieved results and work with the systems team to anticipate risks and bottlenecks
- Develop and maintain a project level goals dashboard to keep track of achieved targets vs open goals
- Quickly adapt to new project requirements and effectively manage change requests.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You hold a PhD or MSc in Engineering, product development or equivalent, with at least a few years in a coordinating role
- You have experience with leading and following-up projects with multiple partners in a structured and methodological way
- You enjoy keeping the overview and driving multidisciplinary developments from a system perspective as a system engineer
- You have experience in working as an expert user with a variety of scientific setups and defining
- Industrial experience is a strong plus, especially in development, biomanufacturing or a medical context
- Experience in the execution of field tests or clinical studies is a plus
- Both hands-on mentality and system thinking are required
- A team player with excellent communication skills and fluent in English
How can we help?
The Leuven MindGate team is at your disposal for any questions about the Leuven Innovation Region. Do you want to invest, work or study in the region? We can help you find your way.
We also facilitate collaboration and innovation between companies, knowledge institutes and government within the Leuven Innovation Region, and we are happy to guide any of these stakeholders towards innovation.