Program Manager Energy Storage & Conversion
Work out our R&D roadmap and define business strategies
SectorElectronics & Engineering
What you will do
Imec’s energy team is developing highly efficient electrochemical storage solutions. They are based on our nano-technology and semiconductor background. We focus on the optimization of electrochemical reactions at the surface of porous metal nanowire networks, for processes as electrolysis and conversion of CO2 to high-value chemicals. We intend to mature the processes, scale up the concepts, and integrate them into CO2 capture and conversion devices.To further grow this research activity, we are currently looking for an R&D program manager. As program manager you will have mainly the responsibility to manage the research roadmap and grow the project portfolio. Furthermore, you will also have project management responsibility. You will actively engage with customers (from public and private sectors) to understand the needs. You will capture the trends and future industry needs, that will be used to update our research roadmap. You will work closely with the business development manager and public funded project manager to maintain a clear offering in R&D projects, and you will continuously scout for new partners, ensuring a solid future revenue stream. You will be the communication channel to customers, and you will be responsible for timely execution and delivery in projects.In this job, your main responsibilities will be:
- Together with the R&D management team, work out our R&D roadmap, identify potential resource gaps (incl. investments) and define business strategies to develop impactful technology. More specifically you will:
- Deliver input to our R&D roadmap by incorporating the feedback from industry and by understanding the future markets; continuously benchmarking our R&D program with respect to the state-of-the-art
- Contribute to the operational plans by formulating resource and investment needs together with the technical experts, starting from the understanding of future demands and products
- Systematically capture, report, and act on feedback of our R&D partners and customers
- Take a prominent role in the acquisition of new projects and this in alignment with our R&D roadmap and our business strategy, specifically:
- Define new customer and/or investments projects together with the technical experts and business development managers
- Support the business development managers and technical staff in the creation of business propositions & technical project proposals
- Manage the project portfolio by following-up on customer projects, ensuring timely deliveries within budget and with high quality standards to guarantee partner satisfaction
- Communicate our R&D vision and roadmap; explain the program content internally and externally
- Facilitate program outreach, write press announcements, create information packages, organize demonstrations at booths.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
You have a broad view and good technical understanding of electrochemical energy storage and conversion, in particular of industrial electrolysis and of the conversion of CO2 to high-value chemicals, such that you can present our program content internally and externally. You have solid experience in planning and executing R&D projects. You have relevant experience in roadmap definition. You are a solid planner, but you recognize that R&D projects require flexibility in the execution of plans. You are motivated by deep and frequent contacts with current and future customers.To qualify for this position, you:
- Are passionate about innovation;
- Have a PhD degree (minimum a Master’s degree) or equivalent experience in Science or Technology;
- Have technical background in the field of electrochemical storage or conversion technology
- Have about 10 years of relevant experience; Experience in an R&D management role or a business (management) position is a plus;
- Have about 5 years of relevant project management experience; You are organized and can structure a complex project; Experience in writing public-funded projects is a plus;
- Have excellent communication skills, that you will use to interface with internal and external customers;
- Have a relevant international network of companies, research institutes and/or academia;
- Demonstrate a clear sense of ownership with a strong drive to grow our program;
- Have excellent command of English;
- Enjoy working in a multi-disciplinary and cross-cultural team;
- Are ready to travel abroad approximately 4 times per year, and to regularly commute between imec’s headquarters in Leuven and the EnergyVille facilities in Thor Park, Genk.
How can we help?
The Leuven MindGate team is at your disposal for any questions about the Leuven Innovation Region. Do you want to invest, work or study in the region? We can help you find your way.
We also facilitate collaboration and innovation between companies, knowledge institutes and government within the Leuven Innovation Region, and we are happy to guide any of these stakeholders towards innovation.