Principal Scientist on HPC Communication Network Architecture
Explore and define on-chip/off-chip interconnect architectures for next generation AI/HPC workloads under a technology, architecture, application co-design regime.
SectorElectronics & Engineering
What you will do
The Compute System Architecture (CSA) unit at imec desires to build zetta-scale AI/HPC hardware and software solutions co-designed. We are backed by a broad in-house R&D expertise, creating a new AI computing paradigm that will move the industry forward for many years to come. Designed in tune with advanced silicon geometry, novel communication technology, our architecture provides high-performance AI computing solutions in reliability, security, and power consumption at scale. We analyze emerging usage models, build hardware and software prototypes for data-driven computing hardware capable of zetta-scale performance.
Communication subsystems of a next generation AI/HPC system architecture --- as they interplay with the rest of the uncore architecture and the workload characteristics --- has a high impact on the system performance and energy efficiency. As a principal researcher on communication subsystems, you will be part of our platform modeling team wherein you help
model high-performance interconnect fabric with associate policies/protocols at various levels of the hierarchy (both on/off-chip interconnects). Your role spans a combination of the following responsibilities: you drive the development and integration of models (mainly functional / cycle, but also power / area) of relevant components of the communication system (NoCs, chip-to-chip/node-to-node interconnects, topologies, protocols, QoS) in our platform modeling infrastructure; you evaluate/demonstrate system level impact of the design choices by designing appropriate workloads / experiments; you interface with system/RTL designers during the realization.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- Master’s or Doctoral degree in Computer Science or Electrical/Computer Engineering
- You have a demonstrable experience of at least 10 years working with uncore / communication / interconnect subsystems / interconnects for HPC
- Strong C/C++ skills with relevant programming skills (e.g., python, high-performance parallel programming / MPI / OpenMP / ...) working in a Linux/Unix environment.
- Strong debugging and analytical skills to debug modelling / performance issues.
- Hands-on experience with modelling and performance evaluation of communication subsystems
- Good understanding of computer architecture fundamentals, e.g., multi-core systems, memory subsystem protocols
- You have effective communication skills in English, allowing you to perform well in a multicultural team and in close collaboration with our partners.
- You quickly embrace new technological paradigms.
- Pragmatic and concise in your approach, you enjoy working with a focus on (collaborative) problem solving.
How can we help?
The Leuven MindGate team is at your disposal for any questions about the Leuven Innovation Region. Do you want to invest, work or study in the region? We can help you find your way.
We also facilitate collaboration and innovation between companies, knowledge institutes and government within the Leuven Innovation Region, and we are happy to guide any of these stakeholders towards innovation.