Principal High Performance System Architect
Explore the impact of imec’s technology solutions on tomorrow’s Machine Learning and AI systems.
What you will do
System Architecture innovations are key to position imec for success in fast evolving workloads of tomorrow and to differentiate imec’s process technology innovations with system level value proposition. The Compute System Architecture Unit at imec leads research into futuristic high-performance and highly secure RISC-V CPUs to extend imec’s semiconductor research leadership deep into the next decade. This unit is also researching accelerator-based architectures for next-generation Artificial Intelligence (AI), compute-in-memory architectures and heterogeneous memory systems. The team is responsible for architecture definition of new CPU and accelerator capabilities, analyzing emerging usage models, and building hardware and software prototypes for data-driven computing hardware.
We are looking for a Principal High Performance Compute (HPC) Architect to work on the development of processor and system architectures for accelerated high performance computing, machine learning, AI, datacenter, and automotive computing. This position plays a key role in our HPC performance analysis effort and offers the opportunity to make a meaningful impact in a fast-moving, technology focused company. You work closely with partners to identify and customize infrastructure and workloads to inform and influence future technology definition.
In addition, you will:
- Research various solutions to enable the next large-scale-high-performance computing clusters. The role spans over various layers from algorithms, software, firmware, and HW.
- Develop models for simulations, analyze simulation results and develop optimization algorithms.
- Collaborate across the company to guide the direction of HPC HW/SW co-optimization by working with architecture, performance modeling teams.
- Work with multiple teams to identify a prioritized list of HPC applications.
- Capture configuration specific traces for the identified HPC applications. Maintain workloads and micro-benchmark suites.
- Identify top HW issues and SW performance limiters in HPC applications. Invent new compute and programming models that mitigate these performance limiters.
- Develop tools, infrastructure and methodologies for measurements, comparisons and reports.
- Generate projections, comparisons and analysis reports for internal/external consumption.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- Master’s degree or PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering or related relevant STEM degree, or equivalent experience.
- 4+ years of experience in hardware/HPC performance analysis and/or architecture.
- Strong programming ability (C, C++, and Python preferred).
- Familiarity with GPU architecture, computing, algorithm analysis and parallel programming models.
- Good organizational, time management and task prioritization skills displayed in your work.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills are required along with the ability to work in a dynamic, product oriented, distributed team. A history of mentoring junior engineers and interns a huge plus.
- You work in a structured, transparent, and accurate way.
- You are a constructive team player and actively share experience and knowledge with colleagues.
- Your networking skills, creativity, persistence, and passion for what you do are highly valued.
- We are looking for your excellent communication skills in English, as you will work in a multicultural team and closely with our partners.
How can we help?
The Leuven MindGate team is at your disposal for any questions about the Leuven Innovation Region. Do you want to invest, work or study in the region? We can help you find your way.
We also facilitate collaboration and innovation between companies, knowledge institutes and government within the Leuven Innovation Region, and we are happy to guide any of these stakeholders towards innovation.