Postdoctoral Researcher – cryoCMOS Control for Silicon Spin Qubits
SectorElectronics & Engineering
What you will do
Controlling silicon spin qubits with cryoCMOS for upscaling
Towards a large-scale quantum computer, full-stack engineering is crucial. To optimally interface different layers, detailed technical knowledge and architectural view are both needed to identify the bottleneck, which can drive future developments, and the compromise, which allow the combined layers work better as a whole.
In this project, you will be working on the interface between the physical qubit layer and the control electronics layer. Specifically, you will explore cryoCMOS circuity for silicon spin qubits. This project combines imec’s state-of-the-art qubit fabrication platform , developed cryoCMOS device models , and demonstrated cryo-circuity designs . You will work closely with the silicon spin qubit team and cryo-circuit design team to demonstrate high-fidelity qubit control with cryoCMOS, identify the fundamental limits of milli-Kelvin CMOS circuits on qubit performance, and explore solutions to control and interconnect challenges for a large-scale quantum processor.
 Li et al. IEDM (2020), Dumoulin Stuyck et al. VLSI (2021), and recently we demonstrated record-low charge noise with optimized qubit gate stack (arXiv:2212.06464).
 Grill et al. IPRS (2020)
 Acharya, et al., VLSI (2022)
Focus of work: 60% experiment; 20% literature; 20% modelling
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- A highly motivated postdoctoral researcher, holding a PhD degree in physics, nano-engineering, electrical engineering, or related.
- You have experience on silicon quantum dot qubits or with background relevant to the topic and the described goals. Hands-on experience with qubit characterization, cryogenic measurements, high-frequency electronics control, and circuit design is highly desired.
- You are willing to work partly in laboratory environments and partly on modelling and design, and that to present your obtained results regularly.
- You are a team player and have good communication skills as you will work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural team spanning several imec departments.
- Given the international character of imec, an excellent knowledge of English is a must.
How can we help?
The Leuven MindGate team is at your disposal for any questions about the Leuven Innovation Region. Do you want to invest, work or study in the region? We can help you find your way.
We also facilitate collaboration and innovation between companies, knowledge institutes and government within the Leuven Innovation Region, and we are happy to guide any of these stakeholders towards innovation.