Photonic Designer for LiDAR
Contribute to the development of new solid-state LiDAR chips, covering both individual photonic components and fully integrated systems
SectorElectronics & Engineering
What you will do
LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) technology has seen significant growth over the last years, mainly driven by the automotive industry. Size, weight and cost are some of the major driving forces when exploring new LiDAR architectures. Photonic integrated circuits (PICs) open the possibility of densely packing most of the required LiDAR photonic building blocks on a single Si/SiN chip using CMOS-compatible foundry processes. Emerging solid-state systems are typically based on coherent detection techniques, such as FMCW (frequency-modulated continuous wave) and focus on reducing their dependency on mechanical scanning devices by using optical phased arrays (OPAs) for solid-state beamforming. The purpose of the current position is to contribute to the development of new solid-state LiDAR chips, covering both individual photonic components (such as OPAs, phase shifters and optical antennas) and fully integrated systems (including integrated laser sources and photodetectors). We are looking for a result-driven highly motivated candidate with a background in photonics, applied physics, electrical engineering, or related field. You are expected to work on your own and deliver high-quality results according to agreed timelines, manage time efficiently according to the project schedules and deadlines, report regularly on progress, and to be a team player by interacting closely with other team members. Good customer-oriented communication skills and excellent knowledge of English are also required, as you will work in an international, multi-disciplinary and multicultural team spanning several imec departments and outside partners.
You will be responsible for:
- Design and layout of PIC-based optical beamformers for LiDAR applications
- Design of PIC-based systems for optical ranging using techniques such as FMCW
- Development of calibration techniques and structures for optical beamformers
- Interacting with a larger team working on optical ranging applications (including IC designers and software engineers)
- Guiding and interacting with characterization experts, analyzing and reporting on results
- Interfacing with different teams working on a broader range of topics (e.g. processing and fabrication)
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You have a PhD (or equivalent) and 2 years of relevant work experience
- Know-how in design and modeling of integrated photonics components and systems in various platforms such as Si and SiN
- Experience in component level design using typical numerical simulation tools (Lumerical is preferred)
- Experience with layout software for integrated photonics
- Experience with programming languages such as Python and Matlab
- Understanding of typical ranging and detection techniques (such as dToF, FMCW)
- Experience with design and characterization of beamformers (near field vs. far field)
How can we help?
The Leuven MindGate team is at your disposal for any questions about the Leuven Innovation Region. Do you want to invest, work or study in the region? We can help you find your way.
We also facilitate collaboration and innovation between companies, knowledge institutes and government within the Leuven Innovation Region, and we are happy to guide any of these stakeholders towards innovation.