PhD position: "Low power ASIC design in a hybrid technology" (ref. BAP-2023-302)
KU Leuven Faculty of Engineering Technology organises bachelor and master degrees in Engineering Technology on six campuses across Flanders, Belgium. This vacancy is situated in the research group Emerging technologies, Systems & Security at campus Diepenbeek.
Prof. Kris Myny has just been awarded a prestigious and exciting ERC Consolidator Project ORISON to develop a novel scalable toolbox on top of Si CMOS chip technologies for research activities in ultralow power circuit design, high-voltage interfacing and low-area pixel concepts. Main applications are ultralow power ICs for battery-free wearable electronics, novel AR/VR and MEMS pixel engines and Robotics interface electronics.Website unit
The ambition of this PhD topic is to elaborate several design concepts towards ultralow power ASIC design, taking advantage of the novel developed hybrid technology in the ERC project. Thenovel technology combines monolithically Si CMOS and Indium-Gallium-Zinc-Oxide (IGZO)transistors. You will create virtual design libraries for system-technology co-optimization research activities, to evaluate those concepts for different application fields. You will make designs and layouts of small circuits and libraries for multi-technology tape outs, up to complete ultralow powermicroprocessors for IoT and wearable healthcare applications. You will also be responsible for the characterization of your newly developed devices and concepts, which can occur at the campus Diepenbeek.
- You have a master’s degree in electrical engineering science or electrical engineering technology.
- You have good basic knowledge and hands-on experience in digital electronics and/or mixed-signal electronics and have keen interest in technology-aware design activities.
- You have good knowledge of the physics of Si CMOS devices.
- You have good basic VLSI IC design knowledge, and Cadence has no secrets to you.
- You have already completed tape out flows and low power IC design knowledge is a plus.
- You can work independently and pro-actively, well-organized, accurate and stress resistant.
- You are analytical, flexible, result-oriented, customer and market oriented.
- You are an enthusiastic and enterprising team player with innovative ideas that searches for improvements, experiments with new concepts and solves problems in a creative and clear manner.
- You want to dedicate yourself to spreading the mission and values of the faculty: you are open to other cultures and world views and you are motivated to work internationally.
The successful candidate will be offered a PhD fellowship to become part of our team to work towards a PhD. This full-time mandate is initially limited to 1 year contract with a possible extension depending on the performance of the candidate as well as competitive financing successes. The final goal will be obtaining a PhD after 4 years.
For more information please contact Prof. dr. ing. Kris Myny, tel.: +32 11 75 17 31, mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.You can apply for this job no later than June 16, 2023 via the online application toolKU Leuven seeks to foster an environment where all talents can flourish, regardless of gender, age, cultural background, nationality or impairments. If you have any questions relating to accessibility or support, please contact us at diversiteit.HR@kuleuven.be.
How can we help?
The Leuven MindGate team is at your disposal for any questions about the Leuven Innovation Region. Do you want to invest, work or study in the region? We can help you find your way.
We also facilitate collaboration and innovation between companies, knowledge institutes and government within the Leuven Innovation Region, and we are happy to guide any of these stakeholders towards innovation.