Performance Modeling Engineer
Analyze today’s systems to pave the path to unlocking performance on large scale future computer systems. Do you enjoy co-design of hardware and software? If you yearn to be challenged, use your creativity and skills, get in touch with us.
SectorElectronics & Engineering
What you will do
The Compute System Architecture (CSA) unit at imec desires to build zeta-scale AI/HPC hardware and software solutions co-designed. We are backed by a broad in-house R&D expertise, creating a new AI computing paradigm that will move the industry forward for many years to come. We are looking for talented researchers and engineers with varied skillsets advancing the art of high-performance system codesign. Our future colleague will channel creativity to contribute in cross-spectrum flow and methodology, working closely with a team of software researchers, micro-architects and circuit designers.
As we expand our research to better optimize computing systems, we are looking for a performance modelling engineer for exa-scale systems. If you are person with engineering expertise in CPU microarchitecture, performance-model development, performance analysis, or workload analysis, we would like to meet you. Our team plays a major role in crafting future generation HPC CPU designs and the system architecture to enable for focussed application domains such as machine learning. You will identify key bottlenecks, help understand scaling limitations, and compare state-of-the art approaches in machine learning training hardware. You'll help build the performance models of various parts of the systems, test and validate your ideas by means of thorough benchmarking at different levels of abstraction. You'll also help build the next generation AI hardware at scale.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow. We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth. We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- Master’s with minimum 2 years of experience or Doctoral degree in Computer Engineering or related field.
- Familiar with computer architecture, both at system level and microarchitectural level.
- Strong programming ability in C, C++. Scripting in Perl and/or Python.
- You have an analytical mindset and think at an abstract level, yet you have a hands-on attitude and like to dive deep into a problem.
- Constructive attitude, able to convince others and always prepared to listen and learn from others when solving problems.
A great candidate is familiar with one or more of these:
- Good understanding of modern ISA and microprocessor implementation techniques.
- Deep understanding of systems architecture: CPU, GPU, memory subsystem, kernel internals.
- Experience with (micro)benchmarking and performance analysis on CPUs, GPUs or emerging ML accelerator architectures.
- Experience in performance analysis of sophisticated systems.
- Experience with chip and/or system simulation.
- Successful product development experience in performance modelling and analysis is a big plus.
- Experience with design of accelerator interfaces and innovative architectural features for compute cores.
- Experience with the use, creation or management of simulation products or projects.
How can we help?
The Leuven MindGate team is at your disposal for any questions about the Leuven Innovation Region. Do you want to invest, work or study in the region? We can help you find your way.
We also facilitate collaboration and innovation between companies, knowledge institutes and government within the Leuven Innovation Region, and we are happy to guide any of these stakeholders towards innovation.