Lead electronic system design and development.
Electronic System Design Engineer
SectorElectronics & Engineering
What you will do
In the department BESOLUTIONS, the SYSELECTRON team supports various imec research groups in the development of Electronic System prototypes, and demonstrators for ASIC or research applications. Working in close cooperation with other Solutions teams the SRL/TRL-uplift (System/Technology Readiness Level) is obtained of applications from different imec research groups in the domain of life sciences, imaging, smart sensor systems, flexible electronics, etc.
You get the opportunity to be instrumental in the growth trajectory of the imec.solutions department, assisting imec R&D groups in the realization and industrialization of their knowledge and components.
In this job, your main activities will be:
- You lead electronic system design and development in cooperation with researchers, scientists, and project managers of different groups in imec.
- Your broad electronics knowledge allows you to translate and document abstract application requirements into electronic system implementation requirements and architecture also taking firmware and/or software requirements into consideration in cooperation with other architects using methods like waterfall, V-model or similar. You succeed in aligning existing prior art, building blocks and customizations with the customer application needs. With regards to electronics, you are the technical reference person in a project.
- You take ownership during the whole development cycle guarding that requirements are fulfilled and maintained from kick off to delivery working closely with a team of specialized engineers under your guidance.
- You report efficiently to all stakeholders: customer, management, engineering team, project partners, and you are result driven and want to get the job done.
- Your tasks also include market screening of COTS (commercial off-the-shelf) building blocks, specifications documentation, critical components selection and evaluation, availability screening, electrical parameter calculations, circuit simulation, principal schematic design and review, board technology and layout specifications and review, bring-up and validation’s measurement plan (including lab setup definition), system verification, validation, and test plan documentation.
- You work intensely together with our customers (imec or industry) and with the other members of the project team to realize the system. Next to that, you have frequent contacts with partners and suppliers.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process, not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
You have a master’s degree in electrical or Electronic Engineering or similar.
You have a strong background in electronics system architectural design combined with relevant hardware design and verification experience using simulation tools and lab equipment.
You have in-depth knowledge in one or more fields of expertise:
- Analog front end design with focus on linearity, stability, high dynamics, and low noise with integrated multichannel ADC/DAC with highspeed serial or parallel interfaces.
- Digital hardware designs with focus on FPGA SoC, FMC mezzanines, PXI, Ethernet, USB, PCIe, SerDes, ...
- Interfaces using Gigabit links and high-speed data busses: Transmission line design & debug, Signal integrity and Jitter Noise analysis.
- Power Design and Integrity for on-board POL designs or HV drivers/bridges (low power and noise critical implementations).
- Board Technology specifications for Rigid or Flex Designs, ASIC packaging and wire bonding for Chip-on-Board or Interposer designs.
Basic knowledge of firmware or software development principles is a plus.
You work professionally, structured, striving for the objectives to achieve and deliver high quality.
You enjoy working in a multicultural team.
You have excellent communication skills that allow you to report efficiently to management, to motivate the engineering team and to involve partners to the project.
You speak/read/write fluently English. Knowledge of Dutch is a plus.
You have a minimum of 10-15 years of industrial experience in a similar function, or technical project manager or team leader.
How can we help?
The Leuven MindGate team is at your disposal for any questions about the Leuven Innovation Region. Do you want to invest, work or study in the region? We can help you find your way.
We also facilitate collaboration and innovation between companies, knowledge institutes and government within the Leuven Innovation Region, and we are happy to guide any of these stakeholders towards innovation.