Lab technician for mechanical material testing
Support for all measurements on material's characterization, Failure Analysis, Thermal measurements and sample preparation.
SectorElectronics & Engineering
What you will do
The Mechanical and Thermal Modeling and Characterization group (MTMC) focus on the understanding of the thermal and thermo-mechanical properties of materials, the thermal management of electronic systems, the analysis of stress, fracture mechanics and adhesion strength of thin films and advanced integrated structures. To support the imec technology programs and projects, we use a combination of numerical modeling and experimental characterization techniques including (but not limited) nanoindentation, in-situ picoindenation, four-point bending, micro shear testing, among others.
As a lab technician for mechanical and material testing, you will be responsible for sample handling, sample preparation and mechanical testing of a variety of materials with scales ranging from few tens of nanometers up to few centimeters. In this role you will:
- Setup and operate tools such as nanoindenter, polishing tools, tensile and bending tools
- Perform sample preparation for failure analysis
- Become familiar with all basic electrical test equipment and execute routinely electrical tests
- Ensure proper documentation of tested materials and methods used for the characterization
- Collaborate with the integration engineers from the technology departments to define design of experiments for test structures
- Support and collaborate with engineers and scientist on various projects
- Communicate the results to internal stakeholders and/or to imec’s industrial partners
- Protect confidential information and proprietary processes
- Other duties may be assigned based on circumstances and performance
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You have a BS or MS degree in mechanics, physics, or material’s science
- Fully capable of supporting all mechanical testing is a strong requirement
- Basic knowledge in electrical measurements is advantageous
- Experienced in handling samples and materials in a controlled lab environment is a plus
- Experienced in some of the following techniques - hardness testing, nanoindentation, mechanical testing, sample preparation is a plus
- Demonstrate an open attitude to learn from others for continuous improvement of skillsets
- You are flexible in this challenging environment where priorities can switch easily.
How can we help?
The Leuven MindGate team is at your disposal for any questions about the Leuven Innovation Region. Do you want to invest, work or study in the region? We can help you find your way.
We also facilitate collaboration and innovation between companies, knowledge institutes and government within the Leuven Innovation Region, and we are happy to guide any of these stakeholders towards innovation.