LAB Process Step Engineer
Contribute to advanced process development that is critical to the success of our research programs and projects
SectorElectronics & Engineering
What you will do
You will be a member of the UPM LAB team. This team is responsible for LAB processes and tools which are used in CMORE (Life science, MEMS, actuators, sensors ...) and Core (3D, Logic, Memory...). You work in a team of about 9 people with whom you interact daily to maintain a LAB that has approximately 500 registered users.
With your hardware and process colleagues you ensure that the tools are running smoothly and efficiently, you help the imec programs with their processing and guide students and researchers with their needs in the LAB. On top of that you will be trained as process expert for certain processes within the lab depending on your background and interest.
You work in a dynamic multidisciplinary and multicultural environment in close cooperation with researchers, students, process and hardware engineers, industry assignees, device, and process experts.
- As a process step Engineer, you take on a key role in developing some next generation semiconductor technologies. Therefore, you will contribute to advanced process development that is critical to the success of our research programs and projects.
- During an intensive training period you will be coached by our team. They will introduce you to the LAB activities, teach and practice with you everything you need to know to excel in your role. From standard lab processing, follow-up the different service queues, process integration, data analysis, to metrology and process development.
- Your mentors will introduce you to our way of working. You will acquire a professional level of handling the tools, and you will be able to execute and investigate the results. This will enable you to make well-grounded decisions based on test and inspection results. These conclusions are required to continue our LAB processing activities and developments.
- You contribute to the development and follow up of flows in the cleanroom lab environment and report to the responsible project manager or scientist. Examples of tasks include dry, wet etching, photolithography, physical characterization (microscopy, profilometry), thin-film depositions.
- In your role you will be the responsible for certain process steps/areas and tools in the LAB. For these steps you will give training to new users and develop processes. Additionally, you will help to efficiently troubleshoot any unforeseen problem that might occur in your area of expertise.
- You can choose between working in shifts or working at office time. If you would like to work in shifts, the regime will contain an early and late shift, including 1 weekend (Sat/Sun) out of 2 and shiftpremiums.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- You obtained a bachelor degree in science or equal by experience and display strong engineering skills and mindset.
- You can work autonomously with good hands-on skills in a LAB environment, well organized, with a good attention to detail and set high standards for quality.
- You are a problem solver: you do not think in problems, but in solutions. Thanks to your sense of urgency, you act proactively. You are not afraid to roll up your sleeves and dive right into the action.
- You are a quick learner and interested in acquiring new competences.
- You see changes as an opportunity to learn and grow and you can deal with ambiguity.
- As timing is critical in our business, we are looking for people with strong analytical and organizational skills, who can evaluate and respond effectively to incoming request and issues in a timely manner. We need people who enjoy a (high) level of autonomy in their work, who are looking for an intellectual challenge, and foremost who are willing and able to learn fast.
- Experience in semiconductor processing (Expertise in lithography is beneficial) or integration is a plus.
- You are a good communicator: you listen actively; you build bridges where needed and you communicate clearly and effectively.
- Given the international character of imec, fluency in English is a must.
- You are an enthusiastic and motivated team player with good reporting skills.
How can we help?
The Leuven MindGate team is at your disposal for any questions about the Leuven Innovation Region. Do you want to invest, work or study in the region? We can help you find your way.
We also facilitate collaboration and innovation between companies, knowledge institutes and government within the Leuven Innovation Region, and we are happy to guide any of these stakeholders towards innovation.