Expert ultrasound system modelling
Take ownership of the simulation and design of acoustic and MEMS devices.
SectorElectronics & Engineering
What you will do
Imec’s Sensors and Actuators Technology department is developing novel process technologies, devices, circuits and solutions to enable new applications. In this growing R&D activity, we are currently looking for an R&D team leader to lead the multiphysics design team.
As R&D team leader, you take ownership of the simulation and design of acoustic and MEMS devices; you are responsible for the operations within your team. You manage a team of engineers, postdoc and PhD student to whom you provide framing and technical guidance. You work in close collaboration with the MEMS & ultrasound microsystems program manager and support the definition of the ultrasound microsystems roadmap, the acquisition of new customers and the definition of public and private projects. You lead projects to timely delivery and successful completion, a task for which collaboration and coordination with other teams across imec is essential.
Your responsibilities are:
- Manage the multiphysics design team: Follow up the activities of all team members and keep an overview of their workload. Stimulate people to further develop and create the opportunity to do so. Select and integrate new team members.
- Organize the team operations: Plan the team resources in line with the needs of projects & programs. Supervise projects executed within the team and anticipate for possible shortages and roadblocks. Follow up with effort expenditure.
- Act as a first point of contact for all multiphysics design questions within imec. Be the reference point for the program managers. Consult on multiphysics design with other imec teams and with (prospective) customers. Understand application requirements and their translation into device and system specifications.
- Keep an overview of the state of art in industry. Set the vision for the future developments that support the MEMS & ultrasound microsystems program roadmap.
- Secure the resources and collaborations needed to support these developments. Propose and write public funded projects to fuel longer term innovation. Reinforce the IP portfolio of the program.
- Lead projects with cross-functional teams in different locations and international customers. Ensure timely deliveries within budget with high quality standards to guarantee partner satisfaction.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will determine the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a competitive salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
You are a team player at the core and have previous experience with the management of a small team. You are passionate about technology development and are enthused by new challenges. You communicate this enthusiasm to your team and drive them in uncharted territory. You have a technical background in the field of sensing & actuation technologies, in particular of acoustic (ultrasound) microsystems technologies and systems and demonstrate solid technical understanding of the application domains. You benchmark your work with state-of-the-art and explore new methodologies that go beyond today’s solutions.
To qualify for this interesting position, you:
- Have a PhD degree (minimum a Master’s degree) or equivalent experience in Electronics Engineering.
- Have about 10 years of relevant R&D experience; a strong technical background in the field of sensing & actuation technologies, and preferably experience with acoustic (ultrasound) microsystems technologies and systems. Experience in an R&D management role is a plus.
- Have about 5 years of relevant project management experience. You are organized and you can structure a complex multi-partner project; Experience in writing public-funded projects is a plus.
- Possess a good balance of sensitivity and drive that help you safely guide and motivate your team through stringent project execution with strict deadlines.
- Have excellent communication skills, that you will use to interface with internal and external customers. Given the international character of imec, an excellent command of English is mandatory.
- Have a relevant international network in companies, research institutes and/or academia.
- Enjoy working in multi-disciplinary and cross-cultural teams.
How can we help?
The Leuven MindGate team is at your disposal for any questions about the Leuven Innovation Region. Do you want to invest, work or study in the region? We can help you find your way.
We also facilitate collaboration and innovation between companies, knowledge institutes and government within the Leuven Innovation Region, and we are happy to guide any of these stakeholders towards innovation.