CPU Performance Modeling Engineer
Are you passionate about the opportunity to have a real impact on the hardware and software that underlies the most exciting trends in modern computing in the world? Would you love to work in a talented, multi-disciplinary team of architects and software engineers? Then get in touch!
SectorElectronics & Engineering
What you will do
The Compute System Architecture (CSA) unit at imec desires to build zeta-scale AI/HPC hardware and software solutions co-designed. We are backed by a broad in-house R&D expertise, creating a new AI computing paradigm that will move the industry forward for many years to come. We are looking for talented researchers and engineers with varied skillsets advancing the art of high-performance system codesign. Ideal candidates will channel their creativity to contribute in cross-spectrum flow and methodology, working closely with a team of software researchers, micro-architects and circuit designers.
We are continuously innovating across the stack from applications to architecture to technology, to build some of the most complex and best performing compute systems in the world. In this role, you develop CPU Performance models to craft next-generation CPU microarchitecture. You apply your skills to propose performance enhancing microarchitecture features for CPUs with efficiency in mind. You also work with architects and analytical modelling teams for trade-off studies and communicate pros/cons of microarchitecture enhancements and will develop an understanding of state-of-the-art techniques for at least one processor functional block. You analyse CPU performance when integrated into a larger system and ensure model functionality and accuracy in that environment. Furthermore, you participate in PPA (Performance, Power, Area) trade-off analysis for architecture and microarchitecture features.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will define the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer (http://www.imec-int.com/en/careers#diversity) and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. In everything we do, your future colleagues are guided by the imec values of passion, excellence, connectedness and integrity. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- Master’s or Doctoral degree in Computer Engineering or related field with experience relevant to CPU architecture or micro-architecture modeling and workload analysis.
- Experience with modern, high-performance CPU architecture and microarchitecture.
- Experience with performance modeling, performance analysis, and workload characterization.
- Experience with C/C++ and scripting languages (e.g., Python).
- You have an analytical mindset and think at an abstract level, yet you have a hands-on attitude and like to dive deep into a problem.
- Constructive attitude, able to convince others and always prepared to listen and learn from others when solving a problem.
A great match for this position is familiar with one or more of these:
- Good understanding of modern ISA and microprocessor implementation techniques.
- Deep understanding of systems architecture: CPU, memory subsystem, system software components.
- Familiarity and experience with RISC-V Architecture.
- Exposure to SystemC/TLM, Sparta.
- Experience with chip and/or system simulation, using frameworks such as Gem5, SST, etc.
- Hands on experience developing performance simulators, cycle accurate/approximate models for performance analysis is a strong plus.
How can we help?
The Leuven MindGate team is at your disposal for any questions about the Leuven Innovation Region. Do you want to invest, work or study in the region? We can help you find your way.
We also facilitate collaboration and innovation between companies, knowledge institutes and government within the Leuven Innovation Region, and we are happy to guide any of these stakeholders towards innovation.