Application System Architect Logistics
Are you passionate about co-creating the digital solution that can help tackle tomorrow’s sustainability and environmental challenges? Would you love to join a multi-disciplinary and talented team? Then you might be the System Software Architect we are looking for!
SectorElectronics & Engineering
As a high-tech research center that is partially, publicly funded, imec carries a responsibility to ensure global as well as local impact. imec’s EDiT (Enabling Digital Transformations) department plays a prominent role in realizing societal & economic impact by conducting demand-driven R&D, in collaboration with authorities, other imec divisions, (academic) research institutes, companies, and citizens’ organizations. Our mission is to focus on the most complex challenges (‘wicked problems’) in 3 key domains: Sustainable & Urban Environments, Mobility & Logistics and Health. We are guided by an “Open for Impact” vision, which puts an emphasis on sharing all that we learn as open knowledge, open source, and open data. Read more about our activities on https://www.imec.be/nl.;Mobility & Logistics begins when you walk out the front door. Even sooner, when you receive an online-ordered parcel, delivered at your doorstep. Mobility and logistics are already everywhere, and we expect an immense increase in relevance and importance in the coming decade.
More, we face the most challenging climate goals of all times since our mobility and logistics play a key role in the shift to a more sustainable, resilient and futureproof society. We need to green our mobility and cities, encourage people to walk and cycle more, adapt mitigation strategies to cope with environmental changes, and rethink our current use of freight transport and logistics preparedness to floods, pandemics and day-to-day operations. That is where imec EDiT’s Mobility & Logistics comes in. We have a multidisciplinary team, passionate about the future of mobility and logistics. Our experts set an example for Flanders and the rest of Europe in the development of innovative technological solutions that enhance digital transformation.
We focus on dataspaces as a base for data-driven decision making through the use of digital twin among others, connected and autonomous mobility and transport (C-ITS), synchromodal transport and urban logistics. Next to our technological knowledge, we have expertise in understanding user needs and market dynamics to upscale successful local solutions and to help transform mobility, logistics and society overall.
What you will do
As an application system architect, your main mission is to define and realize the software architecture that addresses the requirements of the domain-specific projects within the mobility and logistics domain. As such, you have an eye for the functional problems of the projects, and how this leads to requirements that are fine-grained enough to be addressed by software capabilities.
As an application system architect within the cluster, you love reusability, and you have a real passion for tuned integration of modular components into a system that can deliver a PoC or MVP within the engaged projects. Moreover, your passion is also to identify modularity based on a vision on capabilities, and you manage the definition of tightly or loosely coupled relations between software components. You are also responsible for the identification and architectural roadmap of reusable components within the domain mobility and logistics, with a focus on synchromodal freight transport and/or urban logistics.
As the bridge between the application domain and the EDiT platform components to realize data spaces, smart data platforms and digital twin applications, you love the exchange and sharing of knowledge and learnings with solution and other system architects to define details on joint roadmap execution, and thus realization of a real architectural runway. You are accountable for the correct behavior and feasibility of the architectural design and execution within the scope of the different projects.
What we do for you
EDiT is based at the imec offices in the centers of Ghent and Antwerp in addition to our HQ in Leuven. You can choose from which of these offices cities you prefer to work, and we also have a hybrid work policy in place that is very flexible to remote working.
With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will define the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer (http://www.imec-int.com/en/careers#diversity) and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. In everything we do, your future colleagues are guided by the imec values of passion, excellence, connectedness and integrity. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
We are looking for an experienced system architect that can operate within our Mobility & Logistics team.
“Must-haves” (essential skills):
- Master in Computer Science/Engineer; or acquired equivalent level by experience with minimal 5 years in software development and minimum 5 years in architecture roles;
- Experience in architecture and successful integration of complex software projects and/or products using combinations of cloud and/or full-stack and/or data science or engineering platform technologies.
- Analytical and creative thinker able to translate abstract designs into modular implementable designs, using e.g., Archimate, C4 or UML templates for communication and abstraction;
- Team player with a passion and eye for building long-term human relations within an innovative environment with stakeholders from the quadruple helix (research, industry, government, citizens). Handling dependencies, technical meetings, stakeholder management and co-creation / co-design are fundamental activities within our funded projects (Flemish research programs funded by VLAIO and European programs: Horizon Europe, Digital Europe, Connecting Europe Facility, ...). And at the same time, being able to work in an independent way and take autonomous decisions at the right moments when needed, as one of the main technical SPOCs within the cluster;
- Constructive attitude, being able to convince others without taking up positions looking at different ways to solve a problem;
- English (professional proficiency).
“Should-haves” (a great candidate is familiar with most of these):
- Experience with data processing & cloud platform modules;
- Having some experience or being familiar with the domain of mobility & logistics with a focus on synchromodal freight transport and/or urban logistics;
- Being familiar with or having experience in DevOps, DataOps, DevSecOps engineering activities;
- Python, Docker/Kubernetes, MS Azure ecosystem, etc.
- Experience with the use of open source products or projects
“Could-haves” (it is nice to tick a few of the boxes):
- Having some experience, familiarity or passion for the technology or domain principles discussed in the following articles on data sharing and data-driven decision taking :
- Having interest to work within the domain illustrated by following projects :
How can we help?
The Leuven MindGate team is at your disposal for any questions about the Leuven Innovation Region. Do you want to invest, work or study in the region? We can help you find your way.
We also facilitate collaboration and innovation between companies, knowledge institutes and government within the Leuven Innovation Region, and we are happy to guide any of these stakeholders towards innovation.