Analytical energy and area modeling architect
Architect the right trade-offs between performance, area and energy for next generation supercomputer hardware-software codesign
SectorElectronics & Engineering
What you will do
The Compute System Architecture Unit (CSA) at imec is researching next-generation large-scale heterogeneous computer architectures for next-generation Artificial Intelligence (AI). The team is responsible for algorithm research, runtime management innovations, performance modeling, architecture simulation and prototyping for these future applications and the future systems to execute them, in order to reach multiple orders of magnitude better performance, energy-efficiency, and total cost of ownership.
We are looking for an Analytical Energy and Area Architect to technically drive energy and area modeling from a top-down perspective. You work closely with performance architects to build energy and area models that can evaluate the impact of codesign innovations across different abstraction layers. This position plays a key role in our ambition to shape the future of supercomputer architecture.
- Develop analytical models for supercomputer power, energy and area that combine software and hardware properties at various level of detail, analyze results and develop optimization algorithms to explore the large design space and to improve runtime scheduling, DVFS, power gating, cooling, etc.
- Develop analysis tools and frameworks that capture the area and energy characteristics from real systems and applications, to be used to calibrate your models.
- Connect research from algorithms, resource management, firmware, system architecture, and microarchitecture to evaluate the benefit of proposed solutions.
What we do for you
We offer you the opportunity to join one of the world’s premier research centers in nanotechnology at its headquarters in Leuven, Belgium. With your talent, passion and expertise, you’ll become part of a team that makes the impossible possible. Together, we shape the technology that will define the society of tomorrow.
We are committed to being an inclusive employer and proud of our open, multicultural, and informal working environment with ample possibilities to take initiative and show responsibility. In everything we do, your future colleagues are guided by the imec values of passion, excellence, connectedness and integrity. We commit to supporting and guiding you in this process; not only with words but also with tangible actions. Through imec.academy, 'our corporate university', we actively invest in your development to further your technical and personal growth.
We are aware that your valuable contribution makes imec a top player in its field. Your energy and commitment are therefore appreciated by means of a market appropriate salary with many fringe benefits.
Who you are
- Master’s degree or PhD degree in Computer Engineering or related relevant STEM degree, with relevant experience.
- Experience with power and energy instrumentation, modeling or simulation.
- Experience with area and cost modeling of chips and their packaging.
- Experience with analytical performance modeling is a large plus.
- Familiarity with thermal modeling and considerations.
- Familiarity with heterogeneous and parallel computer architectures such as GPUs.
- Familiarity with runtime resource management.
How can we help?
The Leuven MindGate team is at your disposal for any questions about the Leuven Innovation Region. Do you want to invest, work or study in the region? We can help you find your way.
We also facilitate collaboration and innovation between companies, knowledge institutes and government within the Leuven Innovation Region, and we are happy to guide any of these stakeholders towards innovation.