For more information please contact Prof. dr. Paul P Van Veldhoven, tel.: +32 16 33 06 86, mail: email@example.com or Prof. dr. Myriam Baes, tel.: +32 16 33 08 53, mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can apply for this job no later than September 20, 2018 via the online application tool
KU Leuven seeks to foster an environment where all talents can flourish, regardless of gender, age, cultural background, nationality or impairments. If you have any questions relating to accessibility or support, please contact us at diversiteit.HR@kuleuven.be.
The Laboratory for Cell Metabolism (Department of Pharmaceutical and Pharmacological Sciences) and the Laboratory for Lipid Biochemistry and Protein Interactions (Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine) at the University of Leuven (KU Leuven, Belgium) are looking for a Postdoctoral researcher to contribute to a joint project funded by the KU Leuven. Our labs have made seminal contributions to the unraveling of peroxisomal lipid and reactive oxygen species metabolism and have generated multiple loss-of-function mouse models to decipher the importance of peroxisomal metabolism for tissue homeostasis.
The general aim of the project is to understand how peroxisomal beta-oxidation supports the formation and maintenance of the retina. The postdoc will specifically investigate the trafficking and metabolism of fatty acids and in particular PUFA in the photoreceptor – RPE unit. Experiments will encompass in vivo (using knockout mouse models), ex vivo (using eye cups) and in vitro (using human embryonic stem cell (hESC)-derived retinal pigment epithelial (RPE) cells with a peroxisomal β-oxidation defect) approaches.
• You hold a doctoral degree either in Biomedical Sciences, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology or Bio-engineering
• You have a strong theoretical background in the properties and metabolism of lipids
• You have practical skills in lipid handling, GC-MS and/or LC-MS analysis
• Experience with mouse models, cell culture, microscopy and/or chemical synthesis is an advantage
• Certificates to work with radioactivity and/or animals is a plus
• You work precise, and you have a critical attitude
• You have a keen interest in lipid biochemistry and metabolism
• You have excellent oral and written communication skills in scientific English
• A position as a full-time postdoctoral researcher for 1 year which will be extended by at least 1 year after a positive evaluation.
• Guidance by experts in the field of peroxisome biology and lipid metabolism
• A stimulating research environment with opportunities to interact with local and international experts in the field
• Multiple initiatives by the doctoral school Biomedical Sciences to support the career path of postdocs
• Our labs belong to the KU Leuven, a university with a long tradition of excellent research opportunities. The town of Leuven is dominated by the university and situated only 20 minutes away from the city of Brussels.