For more information on the content of the position please contact Dr Joanna Pozniak - firstname.lastname@example.org.The LMCB being part of the VIB Center for Cancer Biology, the job opening is also available on the VIB jobsite - https://www.jobs.vib.beYou can apply for this job no later than October 15, 2021 via the online application tool
KU Leuven seeks to foster an environment where all talents can flourish, regardless of gender, age, cultural background, nationality or impairments. If you have any questions relating to accessibility or support, please contact us at diversiteit.HR@kuleuven.be.
LMCB, the Laboratory for Molecular Cancer Biology (https://vib.be/labs/marine-lab) headed by Professor Jean-Christophe Marine, is located on the University Hospital Campus, Leuven, Belgium and part of the VIB Center for Cancer Biology and KU Leuven department of Oncology.
We are a dynamic research team leveraging cutting-edge technologies to better understand melanoma biology. We have a particular interest in intra-tumor heterogeneity and its link to therapy resistance & metastatic dissemination. The implementation of single cell technologies and the integration of single cell multiomics, including spatial/imaging, datasets are revolutionizing cancer research. We apply these technologies routinely in our lab and have generated large and unique datasets.
We are now looking for a post-doctoral researcher to integrate our bio-informatics team and exploit these rich datasets.
You will be involved in the analysis and data management of single-cell (sc)RNAseq and scATACseq data from various ongoing academic and industrial projects, including the VIB Grand Challenge project POINTILLISM (https://vib.be/grand-challenges-program/personalized-immunotherapy-cancer-patients). You will also be developing your own project(s) on the interpretation and analyses of spatial multi-omics (transcriptomics, proteomics and metabolomics) datasets.
Good communication skills and a collaborative spirit will be required to integrate our research team, which includes a technical staff, graduate and PhD students and postdocs.
We are looking for a computational biologist who is highly motivated, well-organized and dynamic with a high level of independence and creative thinking:
- PhD with a topic in one of the following areas: statistics, bioinformatics or computational biology in a field of (cancer) immunology, molecular biology or similar.
- A broad bioinformatics experience with a good working knowledge in genomics and transcriptomics / pathway biology / (cancer) immunology and deep scientific expertise in next generation sequencing technologies and (statistical) data analysis. Experience in single-cell sequencing and an interest in spatial transcriptomics and proteomics data analysis is mandatory.
- Working proficiency in popular programming languages such as R or Python.
- Fluency in analysis of large datasets and Linux-based high-performance computing environments.
- A proven and successful publication track record in this field.
- High intrinsic motivation and a strong scientific curiosity.
- Ability to be inventive and to present novel ideas in method development, data analysis and interpretation.
- Teamplayer that can work independently in a multidisciplinary (international) team
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills
- Proactive, flexible, and problem-solving attitude
- Experience in working with deadlines and being involved in multiple projects
- Duration:full-time contract of one year with the possibility for extensions. You are stimulated to apply for a postdoctoral fellowship.
- The position is available as from November 1st 2021.
- (Early)access to state-of-the-art technologies.
- A stimulating (international, multidisciplinary) research environment where quality, professionalism and team spirit are encouraged.
- The ability to work on scientifically exceptional and high impact, state-of-the-art projects.
- The opportunity to be part of a young and dynamic team and to provide a meaningful contribution to genetic and oncological research.
- The University of Leuven is one of the most innovative universities in Europe. Leuven is located 20 min. from Brussels, in the center of Europe.